This has become a Ranch Table classic recipe. My dear friend, Katie Hames, baked this for our Paella Gathering and it was such a huge hit that we have added it to a few more events.
If possible, make a day or two ahead. Wrap cake in aluminum foil, store at room temperature.
1 cup butter, softened
Scant ¾ cup sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup unbleached flour
2 ½ cups freshly ground raw almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
Zest and juice of 3 lemons
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Zest and juice lemons, set aside.
3. Grind almonds in a food processor until they are the texture of rough sand. Measure after grinding, set aside.
4. Cream butter and sugar, then beat in eggs one by one.
5. Add both extracts.
6. Mix in flour, ground almonds until fully incorporated.
7. Add lemon zest and juice, beat for about 3 minutes.
8. Pour into 8” round pan, bake for thirty minutes, then rotate pan and bake until golden brown. Test the center with a toothpick.
We then added a bit of whipped cream, honey and topped with fresh berries. It is the perfect way to end a meal.
Photograph by Annie Meisel